Saturday, January 14, 2006

Cowboys quarterback Drew Henson is headed for NFL Europe

Henson eager to get overseas and play
10:29 PM CST on Friday, January 13, 2006
By MATT MOSLEY / DallasNews.com

Cowboys quarterback Drew Henson is headed for NFL Europe. Henson will meet with the Cowboys on Monday to finalize plans, but he's expected to report for training camp in Tampa, Fla., on Feb 10. "I'm just excited to be playing football again," said Henson, who didn't take a snap as the team's third quarterback this season. "I left baseball because I missed playing football games. I see this as a great opportunity." Coach Bill Parcells talked to Henson about playing in Europe during the last week of the season, and owner-general manager Jerry Jones said he's anxious to see how he responds. "He needs to play ball," Jones said recently. "One of his main attributes - I think it is, I don't know for sure - is that he knows how to play within himself and not make bad plays. The only way you can see that attribute more is in live competition." Henson talked to safety Keith Davis and running back Keylon Kincade about their NFL Europe experiences and said he came away with a good feeling. "When else in my life will I have a chance to spend three months in Europe for free," Henson said. "I don't really see any downside to this." Henson has started one game and thrown 18 passes during his two years with the Cowboys. Third-year quarterback Tony Romo overtook him during training camp and Henson faded out of the picture. In 2003, the Cowboys sent quarterback Chad Hutchinson to NFL Europe but ended up cutting him before training camp. Henson is signed through 2011, but he'd be able to shorten the deal by hitting certain incentives. "I don't see my situation as being similar to Hutchinson's," Henson said. "And I don't think they see it that way at all. I'm just ready to play." Beginning March 18 at a yet-to-be-determined foreign locale, he'll get his chance. E-mail mmosley@dallasnews.com