Thursday, February 23, 2006

Dallas Cowboy QB Drew Henson's Second NFL Europe Diary

Drew Henson's NFL Europe Diary
February 23, 2006
NFL Europe

Drew Henson explains why he made the move from baseball to football. (waynepaulo.com) Drew Henson has come to NFL Europe to get more game experience after spending the past two seasons as the backup quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys. Henson shared time with Tom Brady as a starter at Michigan, before turning his hand to baseball, playing with the New York Yankees. Now with the Rhein Fire, Henson will write a season-long diary for NFLEurope.com, keeping fans up to date with what happens on and off the field in NFL Europe.

This past week I’ve noticed that every one’s eager to learn and eager to put everything down and pay attention to detail. I really noticed from passing camp that guys are on top of what they need to do. Everyone knows that this is serious. Guys are treating this in the same way as they would an NFL training camp. We’re here to work and we’re here to get better. It seems like everybody is on the same page. While we’re here we want to get everything cleaned up, so we’ll be ready when we go to Europe.

The biggest difference between NFL Europe and the NFL is that NFL Europe is about the game. Although the NFL is also about football, it’s also about entertainment and many other added pressures. NFL coaches and players alike have to worry about keeping their jobs, so it’s hard for them to make a lot of time for teaching detail, fundamentals and basic schemes.
When you’re in the NFL you’re expected to be able to do it. Here at NFL Europe training camp they pay attention to detail, mechanics and they teach guys how to do certain things and why they do certain things. In these few weeks I see running backs being taught more than just routes. When you’re giving that much knowledge about the game it helps you to play fast and it gives you confidence. I think that’s great.

Speaking of the game I know many might wonder why I chose football over baseball and here it is. I made the decision to go to baseball out of college, because I thought that is what I wanted to do for a living. I do love the game, but as a career to do for 10 years I’m more cut out to be a quarterback.

I played third base for the Yankees from age 18 to 23. I played both baseball and football in college. After my winter classes and football spring practice I would come to Tampa Bay and report with the Yankees minor league team all summer. I did that for three seasons and after my third year in college I signed to play full time with them.

The time I was a way from football made me miss it more. It’s just something about playing football and leading an offense that you can’t imagine in baseball. To be a leader on the field when you’re playing quarterback and have the ball in your hands all the times is like being a coach on the field. You’re getting everyone on the same page and if things don’t go right then it’s on you. In the same breath when great things happen that’s more gratifying. To see something you help put together all week come out in a game is not comparable to any sport.