Friday, March 24, 2006

Fourth & Inches: T.O. and Parcells united

Fourth & Inches: T.O. and Parcells united

By Jessie H. Nunery
The Rocky Mount Telegram
Wednesday, March 22, 2006

So Terrell Owens is now a member of the Dallas Cowboys. Unfortunately, most of us were not privy to what was said between Owens and Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells in their first meeting. Only a fly on the wall knows exactly what was said. I talked to that fly on the wall and this is what he told me.....

Parcells: "Welcome to Dallas, Terrell."

Owens: "Just call me T.O. ,coach."

Parcells: "Well, let's get this one thing straight. I'm not going to call you T.O. Your mother named you Terrell and that's what I'm going to call you."

Owens: "That's fine coach, whatever you want to call me is fine. I'm just happy to be out of Philadelphia and away from Donovan..."

Parcells: "Hold it right there. Your days of bad-mouthing quarterbacks are over. You tried to make a fool out of Jeff Garcia in San Francisco and you did the same thing with McNabb in Philly. That's not going to happen here. I've coached our quarterback, Drew Bledsoe, on two different teams. He's one of my favorite quarterbacks. He's professional and still has one heck of an arm. Don't try and start any stuff with him."

Owens: "Coach, I'll try and be on my best behavior. You guys were generous enough to give me a three-year contract that could be worth $25 million with incentives. I know that if I mess up again that will be the last big contract I see as an NFL player."

Parcells: "I really don't give a you-know-what about how much money you make, Terrell. I treat everyone on my team, from the highest-paid player to the last member of the practice squad, the same. Nobody escapes my wrath. Ask Lawrence Taylor, Phil Simms or your new teammate, Terry Glenn. When I coached Glenn back in New England, I once called him "she" because I thought he was soft and was playing like a girl."

Owens: "Coach, are you still going to let me do my end zone dances? After sitting out the last six games last season, I developed some new moves and I'm ready to put on a show."

Parcells: "You can do whatever you want with exceptions. If you get flagged and cost us 15 yards, I'll pull your you-know-what out of the game. I hate penalties. They make me sick. I'm all about having a disciplined team. That's what got me the two Super Bowl rings I own. Another thing, stay away from dancing on the Cowboys' star at midfield or in the end zone. You defamed it years back and fans are still sensitive over that. The next time you decide to dance on it you better have the Vince Lombardi in your hands."

Owens: "That's why I'm here coach. I want to win. I think we've got what it takes. You guys got rid of Keyshawn Johnson, which made room for me. Throw in Glenn lining up on the other side of the field and our young backfield of Julius Jones and Marion Barber...our offense has some pop to it. I know you are a defensive-minded coach so we'll be fine there."

Parcells: "I'm also a ball-control coach Terrell. That west-coast offense you saw with your past two teams will not be run here. If our team gets up 10 points, I want to pound the ball between the tackles and run out the clock. If that means you only have two catches up to that point, so be it. Don't come over to me on the sideline pouting about the number of balls thrown your way because I'll curse your you-know-what out and that'll be that."

Owens: "That's cool coach. You know what people don't know about me? I work really hard. I always come to camp in shape and I'm not a horrible teammate. It just seems that after a year or so some things get said and blown out of proportion. You'll never here about me being late for team meetings or not playing hard when I'm on the field."

Parcells: "Do you expect a pat on the back for that? Those last two things you mentioned are what professionals do. They show up on time and give their all."

Owens: "I got ya coach. It was nice going over things with you. I'm going to hit the weight room and prove to people that the Cowboys didn't make a mistake in signing me."

Parcells: "You should've started hitting the weight room two days ago. Offseason training started on Monday. While you're over there, go run a few extra laps for your first slip-up."

Owens: (while walking out of the door) "What have I gotten myself into?"