Tuesday, March 28, 2006

NFC East: Eagles on the better end of Owens deal

By Anthony Carroll
03/26/06


Even in the wake of a three-year, $25 million contract that shipped the ex-Eagle to Dallas, Terrell Owens is, well, still being Terrell Owens. Nowadays, if he isn’t pushing the sale of his new book "Ineligible Receiver: The Real Story of my Journey from the Super Bowl to the Sidelines," you can likely find the 6’3", 226-pounder lingering around the recording studio. But we all know Terrell Owens is not an aspiring author. And, well, rapper 50 Cent can continue to sleep easy, because Owens is certainly not going to be the new pioneering face in the rap game.

But Owens got exactly what he wanted from these stunts: his name is back in the jumble of "water cooler" discussions that made him larger-than-life in the first place.

"Finally, the real T.O. story can be told," Simon & Schuster publishing executive David Rosenthal said. "It's an important chapter in the long-term struggle for players’ rights in the NFL."

If you want to take pleasure in a good laugh, revisit that last statement. After completing one-and-a-half seasons of a seven-year, $49 million contract with the Philadelphia Eagles and recently inking a new three-year, $25 million contract with the Dallas Cowboys, the last thing hard-working fans want to hear about is the "rights" of Terrell Owens. If Owens wanted, he could have formed his own publishing company, paid for the medical services to revive Ernest Hemingway back to life, and had him personally write the book for him.

Keep in mind that this is coming from the "deprived" receiver who in 2005 admitted he didn’t even read his own 288-page autobiography, "Catch This! Going Deep with the NFL’s Sharpest Weapon" written by Stephen Singular.

Terrell Owens is not looking to expand the rights of NFL players, Terrell Owens likes hearing his name (Terrell Owens).

Now T.O., the player who in 2000 celebrated a touchdown by haughtily dancing on the Cowboys logo at midfield, is in the recording studio. Perhaps he needs a new song to "cut turf" to for the two 2006 divisional meetings forthcoming against his old team.

"I'm back and I'm better than ever / I'm back and I'm getting this cheddar / I'm back, but this time I'm a Cowboy / I'm back, and I got 'em saying 'wow' boy."

"Wow" is right. In Owens’ rap (which can be listened to at www.terrellowens.com), he revisits the "hard knock life" that he had to endure in Philadelphia and predicts his best season ever with the Cowboys: "When I work my magic / When I catch that rock, I dominate like Shaq when he’s down on the block / And this will probably be my best season by far / No more get my Eagle on / Meet me at the star."

In actuality, Owens has been "at the star" since the early weeks of the 2005 season. After the Eagles’ week five 33-10 thrashing at Dallas, Owens was seen by Philadelphia reporters wearing a Michael Irvin throwback jersey on his way to the Eagles’ flight home. About three weeks later, on November 5th, Owens was suspended indefinitely.

The rest is history. But the future is the Dallas Cowboys' responsibility.

Take a deep breath Philadelphia, it’s over.