Friday, June 30, 2006

Cowboys top offensive team of all-time

By Andy Targovnik on June 29, 2006 12:27 AM

Picking an all-time offensive team is a tough chore; but it's that much harder with a team like the Dallas Cowboys , who have had so many great players. I'm sure many of you will disagree with some of my choices; but if we agreed on everything, life would be so dull, wouldn't it? So without further ado, here are my selections:

Quarterback: Roger Staubach
The Cowboys had some great quarterbacks including Troy Aikman and "Dandy" Don Meredith but Staubach, who was a tenth round draft pick, was something special.

Halfback: Tony Dorsett
I'll probably get abused for this one; but while Emmitt Smith was more consistent, Dorsett had more big play capability. His 99-yard run with only ten men on the field on Monday Night Football was one of the best runs I've ever seen.

Fullback: Don Perkins
Although I never saw him play, he led the Cowboys in rushing seven times between 1961 and 1968. Moose Johnston, Robert Newhouse and Walt Garrison just don't stack up.

Wide Receivers: Bob Hayes and Michael Irvin
Sorry Drew Pearson, you just missed.

Tight End: Billy Joe Dupree
I apologize to the Jay Novacek supporters but even though Novacek had 150 more catches, Dupree averaged 2 ½ more yards per catch and had 12 more career touchdowns in the same amount of games played. I'll take the big play guy.

Kicker: Rafael Septien
For such a successful franchise, the Dallas Cowboys sure have had some lousy kickers. Septien was the best out of a sorry lot.

Tackles: Rayfield Wright and Ralph Neely

Center: Mark Stepnoski

Guards: Larry Allen and Nate Newton

Okay everyone, I'm ready. Let me have it.