Monday, July 31, 2006

Petitti muscles up for Cowboys

Web Posted: 07/30/2006 11:50 PM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. — Dallas Cowboys right tackle Rob Petitti is finally serious about playing professional football.
It shows in his diet, which no longer includes large amounts of beer and fatty foods.

It shows in his commitment to improving as a pass blocker, something he struggled with last season.

It shows in his leaner, stronger body, a result of spending long hours in the weight room during the offseason.

"I care a lot more about football," Petitti said. "This is my job now, so I take it very seriously."

Petitti's transformation from an unpolished rookie with strength issues into an around-the-clock professional hasn't gone unnoticed.

"He looks like a different person completely," Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said.

That's good news for a team whose fortunes this season likely will be determined by the play of the offensive line.

"It's vital," Parcells said of the need for the line to shine.

Petitti, a former Pittsburgh standout, started all 16 regular-season games as a rookie last season. After a decent start, he faded late, a development that led Parcells to tell him, "You've got to learn how to become a professional."

Petitti took the challenge to heart.

"I have a lot of pride, and the way last season ended wasn't a good feeling for me, so I told myself I was going to do everything I possibly could to do better this year," Petitti said.

The first step in his makeover was to gain strength in his upper body and legs and eliminate the body fat gained from years of partying and eating junk food.

"I worked out real hard every day, sometimes even on the weekend," said Petitti, who is 6-foot-6, 327 pounds. "I'm not getting thrown around as much. I'm more balanced. I have more power."

Parcells credits strength and conditioning coach Joe Juraszek for the increased muscle on Petitti, who says he can bench press 440 pounds, an increase of 70 pounds from last year.

"Joe got to the guy, and I just encouraged Petitti and told him, 'I think you can play this game if you understand what it takes,'" Parcells said. "He's a pretty bright kid. He's been very diligent in his training and has made a lot of progress physically that should allow him to play better.

"But I don't know. That's in the weight room, and you have to take it to the field."

Offensive line coach Tony Sparano suggested that wouldn't be a problem.

"This kid changed his body completely and is now prepared for a full NFL season," Sparano said. "We're looking for good things."

Petitti says he also feels healthier after swearing off beer and going on a protein-rich diet favored by his mentor, right guard Marco Rivera.

"I told (Petitti) he should get on his knees and thank God Marco was here for him," Parcells said.

The Cowboys signed free agent Jason Fabini in March to compete at right tackle, and many observers predicted the former New York Jets starter would unseat Petitti.

"All the press, all the magazines I read said there's no way (Petitti) can do it next year," Petitti said. "I just wanted a chance. And I worked hard, and I'm getting my chance. If I don't win (the job), at least I'll know I did everything I could this offseason."