Sunday, August 27, 2006

Late night with Bill...

Bill Parcells complimented the 49ers, saying, "I think San Francisco is going to be better this year. I really do."

Moments later, he sort of took the compliment back when someone asked about his first-team defense.

"They haven't been tested," Parcells said of his defense. "I mean not good enough. We have not had anyone put back to back drives on us. If they can't do that, then we are going to win some games."

On his second-team D: I'm really worried about the conditioning on the second-team defense. A couple of guys sucking air and didn't tackle well in the secondary in the corner position. We have something in the return game. Those are the things I told the players after the game."

Attention, Skyler Green: Your roster spot is slipping away...

On rookie DE Jason Hatcher, who had two sacks and a forced fumble: "Yeah, that was good to see. Did he get two sacks? That's good."

On Rector making a move: "Yeah, he did. He is definitely in the mix. He is the only player that we have besides Terry that has real good quickness and I have to take that into consideration. He did a good job."

I dropped by Rector's locker after the game. He said to tell his Uncle Marvin, "What's up?" He also expressed a desire to return punts. Rector senses a roster spot has suddenly become available and he's doing everything he can to grab it. If you're looking for someone to root for, this is a good place to start.

Parcells on OL: "Every time I hear anything written about is about how they are in disarray. So now we are going from disarray to jelling? So let me just say I think we are making some progress, but I think we have a ways to go there, we really do."

On rookie Pat Watkins: "Well, I am going to have to look at the film. I really don't know, but I don't think he did anything to glaring or bad I would know about it. that is a really good place to be inconspicuous at - free safety."

Parcells also said he would be "cutting" Tuesday.

Posted by Matt Mosley at 11:15 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (0)