Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Cowboys: Parcells makes Romo the starting QB

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

IRVING – The Tony Romo era begins Sunday.

Saying he wants to alter what his team has been through six games, Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells announced Wednesday that Romo will be the team's starter at quarterback against the Carolina Panthers.

Parcells said Drew Bledsoe's inability to get rid of the ball quickly had a lot to do with the move.

"Tony has a quicker release, gets the ball out a little bit better," Parcells said. "I'm hopeful things take a little turn here. I just don't think we could go much longer with things the way they are. I'm not 100 percent sure this will work, but we are going to try it."

Parcells replaced Bledsoe with Romo at the start of the third quarter in Monday night's 36-22 loss to the New York Giants. Romo passed for two touchdowns, but he also threw three interceptions.

"He's got to be more careful with the ball than he was the other night," Parcell said. "I don't expect that to be the norm. We're going to try to temper his impulse (to make big plays). At some point, you have to make the sound play instead of trying to make the big play."

Parcells said he spoke at length with Bledsoe on Wednesday morning.

"He's a good kid," Parcells said. "I think a lot of him. I told him to be ready. He assured me he would do that. Drew and I have a good relationship. He was emotionally under control when I talked to him. I'm sure he wasn't happy to hear the news, but he wasn't irate. He told me he would stick to his business, and I know what that means."

Bledsoe said after Monday's game that it was "a very bad decision" by Parcells to bench him. Asked if Bledsoe would help mentor Romo, Parcells said, "Drew will be in the mix. Don't worry."

Quarterback might not be the only position with a new starter Sunday. Parcells said he's considering replacing rookie free safety Patrick Watkins with veteran Marcus Coleman.

Watkins has been victimized several times this season by deep passes and has shown a reluctance to go after the ball.

The Cowboys enter a three-game road trip with a disappointing 3-3 record. Despite the slow start, they are only one game behind the Giants (4-2) in the NFC East.