Wednesday, March 14, 2007

SEC Lineman Visiting Dallas

By Roy Philpott
TheRanchReport.com
Posted Mar 14, 2007

One of the top offensive linemen available in the 2007 NFL Draft will visit with the Dallas Cowboys during the first week in April. TheRanchReport.com has the latest in another pre-draft update.

The Dallas Cowboys are planning a visit with Auburn offensive lineman Ben Grubbs, TheRanchReport.com has learned. The Cowboys were also one of a handful of teams that scouted Grubbs during Auburn's Pro Day earlier this week.

Grubbs, the current No. 1 ranked offensive guard prospect in the nation according to Scout.com, will also visit with the Washington Redskins.

As a former defensive linemen, Grubbs told Scout.com at the NFL Combine he has an advantage because he knows what to expect on most plays.

"Sometimes, even before the defensive linemen are about to do their moves, I know what they’re going to do,” he said. “You’re kind of in that defensive mentality, even if you’re a guard.”

On making the move to offense, Grubbs said the guard position was more a natural move than anything else.

“I just continued eating,” Grubbs said. “I kept getting bigger. They tried me at offensive guard and coach told me the spot was mine if I earned it.”

For his career, he started 37 consecutive games and as a senior was the only player named SEC Lineman of the Week two times. He was also named All-SEC and second-team All-America by the Associated Press. His combination of quick feet and power endears him to teams such as the Steelers, who utilize their guards in space. And Grubbs says he’s still growing.

“I love to get out in space and pull, pick on those little guys like the cornerbacks and safeties,” he said. “I really think that’s where I have the advantage of being quick. I can get around the corner and make the blocks that a lot of players can’t make.”

He’s also practiced at center, in case it becomes an issue further on down the road.

“I’m not comfortable enough to play in a game right now,” he said. “I am pretty versatile. I think that’s one of the advantages I have.”

Grubbs only enhanced his value during Auburn's Pro Day. Measuring in at 6-2 ½, 314, Grubbs ran a time on several watches below 5.0 in the 40-yard dash to easily improve his time from the combine. He also added a 29-inch vertical and an impressive 35 reps on the bench press of 225 pounds to solidify his reputation as one of the top offensive linemen available in the draft. Grubbs said that was his reasoning for deciding to work out again at home.

”I just wanted to do everything once to see if I could improve on my numbers,” Grubbs says. “I still worked hard and was still out there busting my butt during training and I wanted to see if anything improved. I think I did well in everything. I improved everything but my pro agility. In everything else my numbers improved.”

Stay tuned to TheRanchReport.com in the coming days and weeks for more information on the Dallas Cowboys and their 2007 pre-draft visits.