Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Tony Romo's Working on His Form

by Ryan Wilson
from FanHouse Sport Blog
Filed under: Cowboys, NFC East, NFL Fans

This DallasCowboys.com article is from last week, but with Tony ROMO-MANIA a 24/7 endeavor, it merits a mention. Anyway, we all know how the Cowboys' season ended last year, and that Romo is in the last year of his contract.

Obviously, he'd like to get a new deal before September -- and I think the Cowboys want that too -- but if he tanks in '07, we'll be reading about how Jerry Jones should've waited to give Drew Bledsoe's former backup a big-time NFL quarterback's salary. So while we wait for that soap opera to write itself, Romo's being proactive about avoiding a sophomore slump (well, a sophomore slump as a starter, anyway): He's been fine-tuning his throwing mechanics:
Romo knows his strong arm is something that will help him make all the throws. However, he's trying to tweak his mechanics so he can have a quick release as well.

"It's a tough combination to have a strong arm, with a quick release," Romo said. "So I've always tinkered with the idea of how do I maintain both. This off-season, I'm trying to find ways to do both. But that's nothing new. I change my mechanics probably every year. What I've learned is there's always a way to get faster with your release."