Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Stanback not ready to return punts

I was prepared to launch a campaign on this here blog lobbying for Isaiah Stanback to get a shot returning punts. Figured I better check with the rookie first, and I'm glad I did.

"If I was them, I wouldn't put me back there yet, either," Stanback said.

Wade Phillips has indicated that he doesn't think Stanback is a pure punt returner. He mentioned that Stanback (6-2, 208) is much bigger than the prototype return guy and perhaps not as shifty.

The truth is that Stanback is struggling to catch punts during practice. He's never done it before, and it's not as easy as it sounds. Does he think he can be a punt returner down the road?

"Yeah," he said, "but I need a lot more work at it."

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 12:33 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (6)