Wednesday, January 09, 2008

DMN Blog: Romo focused on football in Mexico

12:58 PM Wed, Jan 09, 2008 | Permalink
Tim MacMahon

Tony Romo talked to the Valley Ranch media horde today. Believe it or not, the Simpson Family Bye Week Fiesta was a hot topic of conversation.

Romo certainly didn't apologize for leaving the country during the bye weekend. He did what he thought was best to prepare himself for a playoff run.

You might think Romo spent the whole weekend swigging Coronas and snuggling with Jessica Simpson, but that's not the case. I can't say for sure if Jason Witten ran any seam routes on the beach for Romo, but they did watch the full slate of NFL playoff games.

"I know what I needed to get myself in a position to hopefully be successful," Romo said. "You know, people asking for tickets, media requests, all these things doing the weekend – I was able to put the phone aside and get myself ready and watch some football for two straight days. It was really fun and exciting."

A lot of folks think Romo should focus more on football than romancing, but he said he doesn't sweat perception.

"I'm content in my own skin and who I am as a person – and what I've tried to do to get to this point," Romo said. "I don't feel the need to live a life that's perceived. I don't want to be fake. You know, I don't want in any way to do those things. If I feel like something is going to help me or this team, I'm gonna do it."

But what about Bill Parcells commandment saying thou shall not be a celebrity quarterback?!

"You're talking about a celebrity coach," Romo said with a smirk.