Monday, March 24, 2008

Peter King comments... WR Chad Johnson to Dallas

Ten Things I Think I Think

1. I think Randy Moss is one thing. But Pacman Jones? I can't see the Patriots taking a chance on him. Moss was often lazy in Oakland, but he didn't get in nearly the trouble Jones has been in during his first three NFL years. Jones has Dallas written all over him, even though there are approximately 6,479 strip clubs within 15 minutes of Valley Ranch.

2. I think, by the way, that if I were Cowboy owner Jerry Jones, I'd send my private eye to check out Pacman pretty closely before entering into any trade discussions with Tennessee. I'd especially want to find out about any possible pets on Pacman's property.

3. I think this is the way I see the Chad Johnson situation going down. Cincinnati starts its offseason program today at Paul Brown Stadium. Johnson, presumably, will skip it. Johnson, presumably, will miss the entire offseason program, hoping that will force the Bengals to trade him to Washington or Dallas. It won't.

Bengals owner Mike Brown and coach Marvin Lewis won't have Chad Johnson force them into a trade that would screw their salary-cap situation this year. So Johnson sits out 'til camp. Then he doesn't show up for camp. Things get contentious, then ugly, then a sideshow. Johnson makes a few silly public appearances and rips the Bengals. Finally, two weeks before the season, Cincinnati trades Johnson to Dallas for the Cowboys' first-round pick in 2009.

Do I know anything? No. But I believe the scenario I just detailed, knowing the stubbornness of all parties involved, is more likely than Johnson caving in late August and reporting to the team.