Thursday, April 17, 2008

Tennessean: No increased offer in last week for Adam Jones

Cowboys owner puts draft ahead of Pacman trade
By JIM WYATT • Staff Writer • April 17, 2008

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on Wednesday said he has doubts about whether Pacman Jones will be reinstated by the NFL, while also throwing cold water on reports of heated trade talks between the two teams in recent days.

Speaking to Dallas-area reporters, Jones said his team right now is more concerned with the draft than the suspended Titans cornerback.
Advertisement

"There's really no change in that status at all. There has been no movement. We've been focused, as well as I'm sure the Titans have been focused, on this draft,'' Jones said. "I thought maybe we might get something done at our league meetings (earlier this month). We didn't, and when we didn't I knew this thing probably may or may not come about."

The Titans and Cowboys remain within striking distance of reaching a deal. They are close to agreeing on draft picks the Titans would receive from the Cowboys — the Titans are seeking a fourth-round pick this year and a conditional pick in 2009 that could be a fifth-rounder — but the Titans remain firm to be reimbursed for some of the bonus money they've already paid Jones.

Contrary to reports, the Cowboys have not increased their offer in the last week, said sources familiar with the negotiations.

Indications are both sides remain interested in striking a deal before the April 26-27 NFL Draft, but Jones said Wednesday the two sides have not made any progress since the owners meetings in Florida.

"In the nature of doing something that is productive, we haven't talked to them since the league meetings,'' Jones said of the Titans.

"It's a convoluted type of trade and … if you look at it, to me it's just pretty much floating out there and there's really not much energy or activity around it right now. So I'd say it's kind of at that point. I don't want to say that it's dead, but I used the term 'it has no energy.'

"If timing is right for Tennessee, possibly we can re-energize it. Right now, it's kind of in limbo."
Reinstatement chance

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who was in Dallas attending the Southern Methodist University Athletic Forum luncheon, told reporters he doesn't plan on addressing Jones' possible reinstatement until around training camp.

Jones and his representatives have talked about filing for reinstatement if he's traded, but Goodell sounded like it wasn't an option now.

"I have already said to him very clearly and his people that I will consider it before training camp,'' Goodell told reporters. "If he continues to conduct himself in a way that I think represents the NFL positively, I will consider reinstating him before the season.''

Asked if he's confident Pacman Jones will be reinstated, Jerry Jones said he has doubts.

"I'm not. I'm not at all (confident),'' Jones said. "I wouldn't be presumptuous enough to advance what the commissioner might do. But it's going to take more than just talk for Adam to get on the field. But he's got a lot of resolve, as he would. I know how I'd feel if I was outside the NFL and I really wanted to get in. I think all that's got to happen and it just makes us and everyone else involved here have to go on and not hang your hat one way or the other on the transaction."