Thursday, June 12, 2008

Five questions for Michael Irvin

Surce: www.charlotte.com

Former Dallas Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin spoke to the Charlotte Touchdown Club on Wednesday at the Westin Hotel. Afterward, Irvin – a Hall of Famer who left his commentator job with ESPN in 2007 and now does a sports-talk radio show in Dallas – answered five questions from the Observer's David Scott:

Q. You've agreed to serve as a mentor to Adam “Pacman” Jones, who's had legal troubles but just signed with the Cowboys. How is that going to work? I'm a former player with a love for all the guys in the league and I understand what they go through. We all need guidance. I've made some bad decisions before, so I can help him. I'll be there for him, because I've been there.

Q. What's your take on the Carolina Panthers' receiving corps, which is led by Steve Smith and added Muhsin Muhammad and D.J. Hackett? Steve is just a strong guy and Muhsin will come in and give them veteran leadership. I never understood why they let (Muhammad) go the first time, after he had one of his best seasons. I understand the salary cap and business, but you've got to try and work the numbers if you want somebody bad enough. Those guys are smart in the front office and you can manipulate the numbers to get something done. I'm glad they manipulated it to get him back here, where he should be playing.

Q. How do you like having a radio show? I love it. I enjoyed TV, which gave you an opportunity to talk to people, but there's no response. Radio is a gift that gives you an opportunity to speak with people, and hopefully I can influence people.

Q. What do you remember about being knocked out early in a 1997 playoff game by the Panthers' Lamar Lathon? Tyrone Poole (who is 5-foot-8) was the corner. I remember lining up and thinking, “I'm going to kill him today! He's only this tall (Irvin holds his arm out about 5 feet off the ground).” It was a slant and I had an opportunity to take that all the way. But I slowed down and tried to make a move. Lamar came up behind me and I said to myself, “Wow.” That one play broke my collarbone and I was out.

Q. Your thoughts on the Panthers next season? John Fox has a squad he can go somewhere with. But they've been saying that for a couple of years, when they've been on the verge and on the verge. They went down, but now he has to step up and do something about it. It's not about talent. They have the talent, but they've got to play like a football family. Then they can be as good as anybody. If they're not, tell them to send Steve (Smith) to Dallas!