Sunday, July 27, 2008

DMN Burnett Blog: Cowboys pro bowlers leading by example, practicing with purpose

Day 2
by Kevin Burnett

You know the old saying! For some odd reason unlike most football players I like camp. It gives me a chance to focus on football and really establish a mind state within myself to get ready for 8 months of football. Camp also gives me a chance to grow as a man. I use the time that I do have alone to examine and evaluate myself.

Every year about the last week of camp I set goals for myself. Over the course of the year through football season and on into the next years camp is the time frame I give my self for accomplishment. I am constantly looking and at my goals and looking for improvement. At the end of my fiscal year (camp) I revisit my goals and look at my success or lack of and make adjustments. The goals that I am able to attain, I check off my list and the goals that have yet to be reached I map out a new game plan for success. Honestly these are not goals I just spout off the top of my head I really take time and think about what it is I'm trying to accomplish. The process in which I select my goals is very personal but I will say I it takes me the complete time in camp to establish my list.

Practice

There is no such thing as work as usual. To me that means your just going through the motions waiting to collect a pay check. Yes, I'm sure we've been at that point before and during camp is typically the time football players fall into that mode. Very dangerous ground, when it becomes work as usual, your career becomes short lived. Right now this is the trap the Dallas Cowboys cannot fall into (I'm good enough syndrome). From the looks of it I don't see any of this attitude around camp. Any time you have every player on your team practicing and working against each other like they are trying to make the team then you know you have something special. The most exciting thing is having Pro Bowl players practicing with a purpose. One would think hey I make the Pro Bowl every year, why do I have to practice? Not the case here our 13 guys are leading by example and its real encouraging to see that because you know you have something special.