Saturday, August 02, 2008

Thomas standing tall in middle

By Bob Buttitta (Contact)

Four days into Zach Thomas' first training camp as a member of the Dallas Cowboys, fellow linebacker Greg Ellis had one of those head-shaking realizations about his new teammate, who is listed at 5-foot-11 but in reality is closer to 5-9.

"We were going through those big, tall stand-up bags, and I just happened to notice that the bags are taller than Zach," Ellis said. "It is just a testimony to him. He is a fighter. He wins against all the odds.

"When scouts looked at him coming out, they had to say this guy was a kind of a practice-squad guy, along those lines. But he fought against those things on his way to the top and became an elite football player."

While is starting his 13th season in the NFL, there are several things that make Thomas feel like he's a rookie all over.

After donning a Miami Dolphins uniform for the first dozen years of his career, Thomas was released in the offseason by former Dallas head coach Bill Parcells, who is now the director of football operations in Miami.

After Parcells sent him packing, Thomas fields calls from several clubs, including the New England Patriots, but the Texas native opted to return home and sign with the team he had rooted for as a kid growing up in Pampa, Texas.

While he never thought it would happen, Thomas said he is thrilled to come home and be part of the Cowboys organization.

"It feels good to come to a team that's established and has talent. But that's only talent and you have to put it together as a team hopefully we can get over the hump and win a lot of games and win some playoff games."

While he's thrilled to be wearing the star on his helmet, Thomas is even more pleased to be back on the field healthy, following a 2007 season that was cut short by migraines and problems with concussions.

Thomas called football a man's game, one where you are always at risk, but now that he's been cleared to play, he's not looking back.

"I told myself if I talk about the head injuries again I'm concussed already, so I am not going to talk about it," Thomas said. "If I thought I was vulnerable for some reason for injury than I wouldn't be out here. You can't change your mind-set when you are out here. I am always going to be full tilt. I don't change my style of play. That is how I play, so if I felt like I would be vulnerable in some way, than I wouldn't be out here."

Even though it's only a week into camp, Thomas has shown he can take the hits and keep on going without a problem. He had a huge collision with 6-6 offensive guard Leonard Davis, but after being leveled, Thomas bounced back up and kept on going.

Coach Wade Phillips said he's thrilled to have a playmaker like Thomas on defense.

"He has terrific instincts," Phillips said. "He's a great competitor and he's going to help our football team."

Linebacker Bradie James, who will play next to Thomas on the inside, said he didn't really know much about Thomas until he started watching him on tape.

The more James watched, the more he was impressed. James called Thomas one of the faster linebackers he's played inside with and said he hasn't slowed down a bit despite being 35.

"He's a prototype middle linebacker," James said. "He's a great guy to play with. He's very smart. He doesn't get the publicity he should, but he doesn't care. He just wants to fit in and make this team better, and that's why he's been a great player.

"I'm going to be the bruiser and bounce around, because we've got a guy that can step back there and cover and basically clean up everything that is missed, so that helps out. He's like John Stockton and I'm Karl Malone. I'm the power, he's the finesse guy."

Because of his size, Thomas has spent his entire career being called an overachiever, which he is fine with, but he wishes people would also recognize him for the athlete he is.

One of the game's most cerebral players, Thomas is working hard to get down a new defensive scheme so he can allow his natural instincts to take over.

"You don't want to be thinking on the field; you just want to just react," Thomas said. "Right now, I'm thinking on the field so I'm not playing my game (speed). Once I get in the games, if I'm thinking, I'm in trouble. I just want to react, just like you play on a playground in third grade, run around, just react and have fun."

While he maintains the enthusiasm of a kid, Thomas knows he can't play forever, so he plans to make every down count.

"After last year, it really sunk in like, Man, don't take this game for granted,' " Thomas said. "I'd like a storybook ending (winning a Super Bowl), but I'm not going to say that completes my career. I'm shooting for, it it's always a goal, but I just want to enjoy games. When you win games, you enjoy the game."