Friday, August 29, 2008

What Jerry Jones likes about the preseason

by Clarence E. Hill Jr.

These are the things that Jerry Jones is excited about heading into the season.

*The secondary: "I thought we got a great amount of work in the secondary because of the new players we had in the secondary that was a goal in my mind and we got it. We got a tough call to make in the secondary."

He means Adam Jones, Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick. The Cowboys will make a tough cut between Alan Ball and Evan Oglesby. Oglesby is the guy.

* Running back: "I am more pleased where I thought we would be at running back if running back goes beyond Barber." That a shout out to not just Felix Jones but Tashard Choice.

*Quarterback: "I am pleased with Tony, how he has evolved and the work we got with Brad. I like the shape we are in at quarterback. We are good shape at backup quarterback. I am pleased with what Tony did."

So he is saying, stop the talk about needing to replace Brad Johnson. The Cowboys are comfortable with Johnson. But they still might look at Chris Sims or John Beck if they get cut.

*Tight ends and Terrell Owens: "I got to say our tight ends and Terrell Owens were pretty impressive. There is no doubt this is the best group of tight ends and best tight end performacne in training camp that I've seen and i don't know when I've seen anybody play any better than Terrell has."

In other words, stop beefing about rookie tight end Martellus Bennett. He has more potential than any second tight end the Cowboys have had on the roster in recent memory.