Saturday, September 20, 2008

DMN Burnett Blog: Packers, Penalties, and Preperation

by Kevin Burnett

After playing scout team all week for the offense one thing that really jumps out is that the Packers play man every play. I had to cover Felix and Wit almost every play, which gets a bit nerve racking after about 20 plays. Chasing those two around all week can be pretty frustrating especially since the defense is set up for the defender (me) to lose.

In most cases I would say were going to have to run the ball to win but I do believe at some point we are going to have to complete some deep balls to get them out of man to man with one over the top. If we can get them to play cover 2 man then I think that will open up the box a little which would allow the running game to be more effective. I do think we will be able to run the ball, but I also think they will put extra people in the box to stop the run. So we'll have to be able to complete some passes for our offense to put up some points.

As for the penalties I don't think anyone would foul on purpose, this is why you see no recourse for penalties. We're all grown men and Yes at some point you have to take some accountability but I don't think there is anything the coaching staff can do to stop them unfortunately.

Answers to some of your questions

We do run a lot of man coverage. Every play starts with a disguise but the old saying goes "Never sacrifice a coverage for a disguise". We have a D- Line stunt or game on every play. How much more pressure do you want us to put on the QB #5 was running for his life.

Great dialog Cowboy Faithful somebody give me a break down of the Packers defense or at least some comments on what we'll have to do to put points.