Monday, September 29, 2008

My Take From Rewatching the Game, Again and Again

Originally Posted by tcl32 from a sports forum:

Allright guys I went to the game Sunday and had not had a chance to watch it on tv until just now. I watched every play about 3 or 4 times on DVR and I am going to give you my opinion on the game.

Coaching:

Offensively-Everyone knows Garrett abandoned the run in this game way to early and did not give Felix Jones a touch offensively. Bad move by Garrett but the offense was still effective when Romo wasnt forcing throws to Owens.

Defensively-I have seen many of you crucify Wade and Stewart in threads since the game, however I think the blame lies solely on the players for their performance in this game. I will go into detail a little later.

Tony Romo:

This was an up and down game for Romo...He showed moments of brilliance as well as a few knuckleheaded moments. I think the media got in his head about getting the ball to Owens, it was apparent he was forcing throws.
The interception was simply him misreading the defense, he read the corner and didnt think the safety would have the flats.

One thing I did notice is that Romo had a lot of passes float that should have been thrown with some zip. It is apparent that Romo is an extreme talent, but still has much to learn.

Defense:

So many of you want to blame the coaching staff for the problems, but I put it on the players. At some point, we have to quit saying they have all the talent in the world, because apparently they do not.

I hear cry after cry for man coverage, well Newman gave up two touchdown passes in man coverage. When we were in both man and zone our corners just got beat. Simple as that, the Redskins receiver ran a crisp route and had Newman and Henry on the turf. I dont see how Brian Stewart and Wade Phillips can be blamed for Newman getting his butt kicked and Henry falling down and missing tackles.

As for the run defense, almost every big running play came when Ratliff got double teamed and was driven off the ball. I think we miss Roy Williams in this area, on many runs we are used to seeing Roy make the tackle when the guy got passed the line of scrimmage. Yeah occasionally he missed tackles, but if you havent notice everyone else on this defense does too. Watkins and Brown both got blocked out of plays or were still 20 yards downfield when the RB was well past the LOS.

Just remember, dont always blame the coaching staff when the players arent making plays when they are in position to do so.