Monday, November 24, 2008

T.O. goes off on the field this time

By JOE TRAHAN / WFAA-TV

Instead of dominating, the Dallas Cowboys offense was sleep-walking its way through the first quarter against the San Francisco 49ers when Tony Romo and Terrell Owens provided a spark.

Maybe, the 75-yard touchdown pass was more like an explosion.

"We hadn't done much offensively," said head coach Wade Phillips. "Defensively stopped 'em twice down there, it's six-nothing third down, we needed to make a play."

"They unleashed me today," Owens said. "It was good to get my hands on the ball a little bit."

Owens' big day coming after he went public during the week and criticized offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and his scheme and now that Owens has the offensive explosion, the Cowboys would like us to believe its all happen-stance.

"I think you call games differently week-to-week based on what defense is doing to you and what you think can be good," Garrett said.

Owens blamed the system for his recent lack of production during an interview on the NFL Network with former Cowboy Deion Sanders.

"I will say I'm always honest," Owens said. "I will shoot you straight."

"Contrary to what is believed or not believed we try to get the ball to our best players and he's obviously one of our best players," Phillips said.

"It's a case of he said if we get him the ball we'll win," owner Jerry Jones said. "Looks like he pegged it right."

"We have a system we believe in and players we believe in too and our players have worked hard," Garrett said. "Terrell's a featured player in our offense and has been and always will be."

Owens' seven catches for 213 yards is his second best receiving day and tied for the fourth most single-game receiving yards in Cowboys history.

Ironically enough, his performance came on the same day as a Dallas Morning News column said Owens best days are behind him.

"The demise of Terrell Owens has been overly exaggerated I think we can see he still has it," Phillips said.

"When I get my hands on the ball things happen," Owens said. "It's not a mystery. You go from what I've done here to Philly to San Francisco, nothing's changed."

"You can see he's still got it," Romo said. He's a fantastic player and they didn't want to do anything special to take him out of the game."

That strategy was so bad that the only drama late in this game was whether Owens could crack the 200 yard barrier.

"He might have reminded me actually," Romo said. "I just remember him being like 'I need a yard,' and I was like 'I don't know what you're talking about.'"

"Once we got the ball back and it was about 3 minutes left I told him I needed one yard," Owens said.

Yeah it's all fun and games now, but you can't help but wonder what it means for the future.