Thursday, February 26, 2009

Former Superbowl Qb wants to back-up Tony

Posted by jellis at 2/26/2009 2:55 PM CST on truebluefanclub.com
No, it's not Kurt Warner, who is also scheduled to become a free agent at 11 p.m. (CST) tonight. The Super Bowl XLI quarterback who says he would be interested in backing up Tony Romo is Rex Grossman, recently released by Chicago.

Grossman will hit the open market in a little less than eight hours. Grossman said he would like the chance to compete for a starting job, but seemed to realize he may not get that opportunity after compiling a career passer rating of 70.2 in six seasons with the Bears.

The former Florida Gator told Sirius NFL Radio that carrying the Cowboys clipboard would be an ideal situation.

"Obviously my goal is to go to a place to compete but if that doesn’t happen I would think that if I’m going to be a backup (Dallas) would be the place I’d want to go," Grossman said. "Obviously Tony Romo is the starter there. I would not be able to compete for the starting job there. My role would be to come in and back up. And if something were to happen to Tony there’s no better offensive situation to be in in the league. They’ve got all the talent at running back, tight end, wide receiver, offensive line, coordinator.

"They’ve got everything in place that you’d want. Good weather, new stadium. I’m sure they are going to cover it if it is windy or cold. So that would be the ideal situation to back up. There may be a few others, I’m not sure, but that would be intriguing if I’m in a situation where I have to back up."

Today the Cowboys released Brad Johnson, who had been the team's No. 2 quarterback for the better part of the last two years.