Friday, September 18, 2009

Phillips Blog: Roy Has Two Goals On Sunday Night

Posted by rphillips at 9/16/2009 6:20 PM CDT

Roy Williams is a Texas guy. Grew up in Odessa, played for Permian (the high school powerhouse made famous by "Friday Night Lights" and starred at U.T. He understands the significance of Sunday night's inaugural regular-season home opener at Cowboys Stadium.

That said, Williams has two goals:

"I want to be the one to have the first first down in that stadium and be the first one to score a touchdown," he said. "I usually give my ball and my gloves away, but I think I'm going to keep those if I'm the first one."

Williams admittedly gets more animated after some first downs than he does on touchdown celebrations. The first regular-season first down in Cowboys Stadium history would be significant enough to warrant a big salute.