Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Nothing lucky about the Dallas Cowboy's win over the Philadelphia Eagles

Frank Luksa: Nothing lucky about this outcome
07:32 PM CST on Tuesday, November 15, 2005

TIDBIT: After watching what the Cowboys did to Philadelphia on Monday night, I am convinced of something I used to not believe about football. And that is, there is no such thing as lucky winner. Darrell Royal didn’t believe it, either. Royal won three national championships at the University of Texas, so he’s in good company. I once won an Also Entered ribbon in a two-man writing contest. If you won’t take my word for it, consider Royal’s. “You’ve got to be in position for luck to happen,’’ he said. “Luck doesn’t go around looking for a stumblebum.’’

Most reviewers labeled the Cowboys’ frenetic rally that shocked the Eagles, 21-20, as bordering on a fluke. Even coach Bill Parcells said, “I think we were lucky to win.’’ I don’t buy that mindset anymore. I’ll tell you why, which you knew I would or there’s no point in the mention. Start with this fact. The Cowboys never stopped trying to win when there wasn’t much reason to resist what seemed a sound spank by the Eagles. Behind 17-7, Philly at the Dallas 9-yard line with a first down, less than 10 minutes to left, game apparently lost if the Eagles score again … why bother to make a late show of grit?