Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Newman has things covered

Newman has things covered
By Bob Buttitta

Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells calls cornerback Terence Newman the hardest working player on the team.

When asked about the origins of his strong work ethic, the always affable Newman joked the reason he spends so much time at the team complex is because he has nothing better to do.

"I'm not married, I don't have kids, so I like to spend my time in the weight room," Newman said. "I'm in the weight room trying to improve myself every day. I think (Parcells) took notice of it."

It would seem it's only a matter of time before the rest of the NFL starts to take notice of the fourth-year cornerback. Since arriving in Dallas in 2003 as the team's first-round draft choice, the former Kansas State standout has demonstrated the skills needed to make him one of the game's elite defenders.

He was a Pro-Bowl alternate as a rookie, and after injuries slowed him a bit during his second season Newman bounced back in 2005 to turn in his finest season as a professional.

He finished third on the team in tackles and led the squad in passes defensed with 15 and had three interceptions. But Newman's most impressive feat may have been not giving up a single touchdown pass.

Despite those numbers, Newman was passed over for a Pro Bowl berth, leading him to ask what he needs to do in order to earn that recognition.

"Win more games and get more interceptions," Newman said. "Going to the playoffs and the Super Bowl would probably help."

While Newman may need to open voters' eyes around the league, his head coach is already a huge fan and believes Newman has just started to scratch the surface of how good he can get.

"He has a big ceiling," Parcells said. "I think highly of Terence. I think he is one of our very, very best players right now."

The only person not impressed by what he's done is Newman himself. He said while there are a lot of things he does well, there are a lot he doesn't and it's those weaknesses that drive him out of bed in the morning and into the training complex.

"My overall knowledge of the game is where I need to get better," Newman said.

But Newman is gaining on that weakness. With each day he said he gets a firmer grasp not just on what his role on the defense is, but also how everyone else fits.

"I am starting to understand what other teammates are doing," Newman said. "I am understanding things like linebacker position and where help is coming from. I am understanding where safeties are going to be and getting to know our blitz checks so my overall knowledge is better."

While Newman is a relatively young player, he ranks among the most experienced ones when talking about a very young Dallas secondary. Newman realizes by being one of the guys who has been around for a while, it's up to him to help his young teammates.

"Since I'm still relatively (young), I can be someone they can lean on and ask questions," Newman said. "How did you feel in your first and second years? I don't think A.G. (Aaron Glenn) can remember his rookie season. I feel they can lean on me."

Parcells may lean on him to return more punts this season. Newman, who was a dynamic punt returner in college, has done very little of it with Dallas because Parcells doesn't want to run the risk of hurting his star cornerback.

But early in this camp, he's told Newman he wants him to get a bit more serious about returning punts, focusing a bit more than in the past.

"I hope they let me do it," Newman said. "I like it and it's fun."

But right now Newman only has one goal — winning.

"My biggest goal is to get to the playoffs," Newman said. "If we do that, the Pro Bowls and other stuff should come."