Monday, August 28, 2006

Terrell Owens: I overslept

Terrell Owens, speaking with media today at Valley Ranch (above), confirmed that he was fined for being late to a team meeting Friday.

"I just overslept," he said. "I was late and [the fine] was the consequence of that. It's not anything I tried to do intentional. It's not the first time and it probably won't be the last time, but like I said, I'm trying to do everything I can to get back on the field, so it's one of those things that happens."

Owens continues to list himself as "day to day" with a sore hamstring, although he didn't say whether he was going to practice today. Practice is scheduled for 2 p.m.

Owens smiled as he talked to reporters about his ongoing soap opera.

"This is just unfortunate," he said. "I think everybody has overslept, you know, once or twice in their life before. Nothing intentional, it's just something that happened. And there's nothing I can do about it."

Owens said Friday was the first time he'd been late for a meeting since joining the Cowboys. Asked about reports saying he'd been late to several meetings, he said, "I don't know where that came from."

He also apologized to his teammates.

"Across the league, not just football, these types of things happen even going through high school, you're tardy sometimes, you're late . These are the type things that happen. Obviously, there are consequences, you know, of those actions and I was fined. Other than that, for me, it's not a big deal. It wasn't something I purposely tried to do. It's something that I will try to make more of an effort to get here on time. Other than, it's really not a big issue."

Much, much more to come.

Posted by Matt Mosley at 1:15 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (7)