Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Ailing Parcells takes the blame

Associated Press


Coach Bill Parcells wasn't merely queasy because of his team's mistakes Sunday night. He really was ill.

Parcells said Monday he was "stressed out and dehydrated" by the end of Dallas' 27-10 victory over Washington, not merely sickened by the penalties and dropped balls that kept the game close until midway through the fourth quarter.

Parcells, 65, also said he only had himself to blame for an electrolyte imbalance. Why? Because he wore a lined rain suit on a humid night, insisting on keeping it on "because we were winning."

"That shows you just how warped I am," he said.

Parcells said the weather and his superstition "wasn't a good set of circumstances for me."

"I made a mistake that I know better than to do," Parcells said. "I'm not talking about coaching. I'm talking my own well being. I did something wrong and I wound up paying for it a little bit."

Parcells said defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer had a similar problem, but they're over it now.

"I don't need to see a doctor. I know what the deal is," he said. "I've been though this before a couple of times before. As I said. I made a mistake."