Thursday, September 21, 2006

Vanderjagt willing to try kickoffs

By RICK HERRIN
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

IRVING - Cowboys kicker Mike Vanderjagt said he’s ready to handle kickoffs, but Bill Parcells may continue to keep two active kickers.
Vanderjagt has not shown Parcells enough consistency with his kickoffs in practice to opt for him over Shaun Suisham.
“It’s going to come to a head real soon,” Vanderjagt said. “He doesn’t like my kickoffs in practice. But I’ve said 1,000 times I’m not going to bang kickoffs as hard as I can in practice, there’s just no need. If he’s going to evaluate me in practice, he’s not going to like what he sees.”
Suisham has four touchbacks in two games.
Parcells said there is a 12-15 yard difference in starting field position on kickoffs between Suisham and Vanderjagt.