Friday, January 26, 2007

DMN Blog: Wade speaks... on the 3-4

Wade Speaks

We just talked to Wade Phillips after his interview with Jerry and Stephen Jones today. Here's some stuff:

"We had a good meeting and I enjoyed being here. Very encompassing talk and he knows what I’m about as far as trying to get over the things that I can do."

Phillips was asked when the Cowboys will hire a coach.

"I don't think it will take a long time. [Jerry] has other people to talk to and I know that. I don't think it will be a long, drawn-out process."

Wade's thoughts on the team: "Bill Parcells put together a solid team, that's pretty important already and they were in the playoffs last year, so that's a good start for any new coach coming in."

Phillips also talked to Jason Garrett and Parcells.

I'll have more on Wade and his thoughts on the 3-4 defense.

Posted by Calvin Watkins at 3:20 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (0)

January 26, 2007

More Wade Phillips stuff

On the 3-4; “Obviously I like the 3-4, I’ve been coaching it a long time. It gives you a lot of things especially a pass rush and you can matchup a lot pass rush wise. You can also beat big offensive blocking schemes so in my background obvious is defense and the 3-4 I like both of those things.”

Did you think you would get another chance: “I didn’t know. I’m going on my record. There aren’t many winning, successful coaches that come out of there usually when your not a head coach its because you haven’t won enough games. I won as a head coach. I’ve been to the playoffs three out of the five years I’ve been a head coach.”

On inheriting coaches; “In this day and time in this situation, to get good coaches sometimes you have to put the cart before the horse. In this situation if u have good coaches a lot of times you want to keep them and they’re gonna be gone if you don’t latch on to them I can see why they would go in that direction.”


On Jason Garrett; “I know Jason. I haven’t worked with him yet, but I know him pretty well I think he’s a bright young mind that’s going to do well in this league. He’s one of those rising stars.”

On whether Jason Garrett is being groomed as the next coach: “If he hires me, I wouldn’t worry about it. If he hires him that might have been the case. I don’t worry about that.”

You can find more insight when Todd Archer sends in his story.

Posted by Calvin Watkins at 3:25 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (0)