Thursday, January 25, 2007

Romo interview on ESPN

RECAP by Ghettopostage from a sports forum:

About the Fumble:

"We just missed the first down, there. You're thinking, you never take it for granted, but you also feel... I'm thinking more about, hey let's get this field goal, we'll be up by two, and the defense can stop them. It's just dissapointing because you got through your normal routine and the snap comes. Everything's the same and it just didn't work out right there. It's hard to swallow sometimes."

The ball being slick?:

"I practice sometimes with a wet ball so you're always able to get it down. I don't make any excuses. You still have to put the ball down it's part of the game. I felt for the guys, the coach, and our fans. And at the time that's what hurt so much. Hopefully you learn from it and get better from it. It allows him to work harder.

"It happened very quickly. You're going to win a playoff game. The ball comes and boom it just didn't happen. I cant remember the last time I bobbled a snap, in practice even. You feel terrible about it. But you either jump back on the horse and get going or you let it affect you. I'm a guy that looks at the glass half full. I think I can take it and learn from it. Allows me to work with a chip on my shoulder and come back next year."

Ed Werder says he heard from a lot of teammates while he was away. Jason Witten was with him almost constantly. No one talked to him on the phone more than Terrell Owens, who related how he had failed the 49ers by fumbling and then came back to win the game. Matt Hasselbeck also spoke with him about the overtime blunder a couple years ago.

Does it feel like you're starting all over again with Bill gone?

"You have to prove yourself every year. It's not about what you did it's about what you're doing now. What kind of player you are now. There's a lot of competition. I feel strongly about my ability to improve. This team has a great chance next year. We'll bring back most of the pieces. Then we'll get a chance to go deep."

Get the sense Bill is relieved?

"I think he's at peace. Bill's a smart guy, he understands where he's going. He's not a guy to rush. He's got other things he likes to do. He definitely wants to improve his golf game. He's better than people think. He's a fun guy to be around. I really enjoyed his company and his coaching. I'll miss him..."

Ed Werder also said that Romo said he may go over to the Pro Bowl and ask to be the holder for the NFC.