Friday, April 27, 2007

Dallas wants DE Anthony Spencer

ESPN Mosley Blog: Dallas wants DE Anthony Spencer

4:30 p.m.: I was thrilled to see the number of a Cowboys assistant coach show up on my phone, but it turns out he was asking for tickets to the Byron Nelson Championship, which is going on in Irving, Texas, right now. From everything I can tell, the Cowboys will attempt to trade down and select Purdue defensive end/linebacker Anthony Spencer. Director of scouting Jeff Ireland and his staff love how much ground the kid covers, and the Cowboys need another pass-rusher.

You may recall Jerry Jones saying last week that he has two offers for his 2008 first-rounder, but I don't think he wants to do it.

5:37 p.m. Jerry Jones finally faxed his draft board over to the hotel. The bellman is on his way up with it as we speak. Here's what I'm able to tell you: All the Brandon Meriweather talk has started to die down. I still don't think the Cowboys will take a wide receiver, but the guys they really like are LSU's Dwayne Bowe and Tennessee's Robbie Meachem, who grew up roping calves in Tulsa.

And don't think the signing of Brock Berlin will have any impact on whether the Cowboys go after a quarterback in this draft. The guy they really like is BYU's John Beck, although the most attractive member of the club's p.r. staff has thrown her support behind Houston's Kevin Kolb.
Tomorrow we'll have several Cowboys-free entries for those of you who might prefer other teams. And at 10:30 a.m., I'll be releasing my mock draft in Times Square. More details to come on that.