Thursday, April 26, 2007

RECAP: Norm Hitzges Draft Chat-04/26/07

Recap from nasbahcowboys88 from a sports forum:

Norm:

Things constantly move in the draft. The Cowboys may have an opportunity to take a player that they thought would never, ever be there. Alan Branch was at one time considered a top 10 pick. At 326 pounds, teams are concerned he will turn in to just another fat guy.

Here are the players I think the Cowboys will choose from. Two will be longshots, Marshawn Lynch of Cal, although I think he goes before Dallas drafts and Dwayne Jarrett of USC. I don't think Jarrett should go that high. My list is all defense. CB's Aaron Ross of UT, Darrell Revis of Pitt, safeties Reggie Nelson of UF and Brandon Meriweather of UM, Anthony Spencer of Purdue and Justin Harrell of Tennessee.
Jerry has said he wants an impact player. What are the impact positions? QB, RB, Top WR although I don't think we go here as they feel they can get one in the second, LT, CB, pressure lineman. Of all of those, which is more likely to be there? CB and DL.

I don't think Revis will get to the Cowboys. I just don't think he makes it.
Ross, Nelson, Meriweather, Spencer and Harrell are the five names I have narrowed it down to, but bear in mind this can change at a split second if a player starts to fall. Next, I'll take your calls.

Caller Questions:
There is concern out there among teams concerning Adrian Peterson's shoulder. It may cause him to drop just a bit, but not too far.

Caller: I think these players are sleepers sleepers. OLB Justin Durant from Hampton, WR Jacoby Jones of Lane, ILB Zak DeOssie of Brown and CB Usama Young from Kent State. Norm: DeOssie in the 5th Durant in the 4th and Usama Younga FA.

Norm: Heres a few sleepers from me. DE named Ikaika Alama-Francis from Hawaii. He is moving up. OT James Marten from BC and Jermon Bushrod from Towson State.
I doubt Meriweather falls to the second because of the FIU incident although it was ugly. He's a first round talent.

I wouldn't worry about Phillip's drafting. He was part of a SD team that was very good at drafting players.

Caller: I heard a rumor that Dallas has a deal with GB to trade Julius Jones and move up to 16 to take Meachem.

Norm: No. If they move up to 16 they take Lynch.

Caller: I disagree they should pick up Gary Russell of Minnesota. He was just as good as Maroney.

Norm: THat;s just crazy Russell is not even close to Maroney and I can show you 32 GM's in this league that agree with me. That's just crazy.
Jarvis Moss is very athletic but is inexperienced and a bit non-instinctive.
I would not take Ted Ginn with your money. I don't like him at all at WR. He's not a top 10 WR in this draft although I do think he is a good all around player.
In the second round I would look at WR's Sidney Rice of South Carolina, Jason Hill of Washington State or Craig Davis of LSU. Later on Aundrae Allison at ECU but he is a former basketball player that is very raw. I don't think Steve Smith and Dwayne Jarret from USC make it to Dallas in the second so I would focus on the other guys.