Wednesday, May 23, 2007

DeMarcus Ware Interview

CowboysBoard.Com DeMarcus Ware Interview

Thanks to our fellow die hard board member cowboyzadam for landing this exclusive interview for our community. Thanks cowboyzadam! Enjoy!

1. Since the fans already do this, how much do you compare yourself to Shawne Merriman? Does his success play a role in your personal motivation?"

Shawne is a very good player and deserves all the positive credit he gets. I have never understood why he is labeled as being overrated as a player. He does what his Coaches ask of him and he does it well. I understand that fans will always compare the 2 of us but that does not mean I put much importance on it. I do what I do best and Shawne does what he does best. I never use a player to self motivate myself. I look within myself for motivation because every time I step out on the field I am striving to better my game and myself for my fans and my teammates.

2.How do you like the new Wade Phillips' environment?

Yes, the atmosphere with the Cowboys has become a lot looser. The guys are joking around a lot more in the locker room and during practices. We are professionals and we know when to draw the line and get back to work, and Coach Phillips allows us to do that. I think you Cowboy fans are in for a treat this year.

3. What kind of help and tips are you going to give Anthony Spencer, seeing as he is in the same spot as you were in 2 years ago?

Spencer is a great young guy with fire in his eyes let me tell you. He does remind me of myself a little bit because he is hungry. I think he is a little bit ahead of me right now as when I first came to Dallas. He is very smart and has an uncanny natural ability to pick things up really quick. The guys all seem to like him and I just tell him to listen to everything the Coaches say and ask a lot of questions. You cannot let yourself get discouraged because there is a lot to learn for a rookie coming into the NFL. He has to take it one day at a time and he knows I am there for him if he needs help.

4. What do you miss most about Parcells?

Coach Parcells knows how to put a team together. He put so much time and energy into it, it wore him down. In the end, he just felt it was time to go. If we go deep into the play-offs or win a Super Bowl in the near future, you can bet that Coach had a whole lot to do with it. He treated me real good and was not afraid to correct me. For that I will always be grateful to have been one of his students if only for a short time.


5. What does the D have to do to go to the next level and truly dominate?

To get to that “next” level you are looking for we as a group need to attack more than react. Instead of making tackles for a 1 or 2 yard gain, hopefully we will get tackles for 1 or 2 yard losses because we are penetrating, getting up the field instead of working sideways. When we watched film of San Diego's defense under Wade, those guys were attacking and had quarterbacks running for their lives. It's got us very excited.

6. In the off season what do you look forward to most/least?

Rest! I look forward to being with my Family. I miss them a lot during the regular season. I also look forward to not waking up on Monday mornings feeling like I’ve been in a train wreak. I do miss hanging around with the guys sometimes.

7. What's the biggest change you see from this team this year at this point than last years team?

[b]We have more freedom. We're breaking the chains. We're letting the beast out of the cage. We have a whole lot to learn on defense under Coach Wade but I promise my fans we will be ready. I have enjoyed the good humored atmosphere that Coach Wade and the rest of the Coaching staff are creating. Let me just say that I do not think many teams will be looking forward to playing us this year.

8. Aren't you upset Spencer isn't fetching Phillips Water?

Doesn’t seem right huh? I guess I got off easy because the guys have been really giving Spencer a hard time. He is always looking over his shoulders. We are having a good time with it and Anthony is a good sport.

9. Are you still taking Martial Arts, how did that help you out last season?

Yes I am still working with Martial arts. It has really helped my game a lot. The biggest benefit I have noticed is in my hand usage which is a very important part of my position. I’ve learned a lot, and I’m getting a better read now on what the other guy is doing with his hands.

10. Which NFC East team defended against you the best?

The simple answer is the Philadelphia Eag|es. They have been the toughest team by far since I came into this league. They do a good job over there. I am always up for those games because I think when you are matched up against a very tough opponent it helps bring out the best in you.

11. what is biggest obstacle you have had to over come since being drafted in the NFL?

I can answer this one short and simple. The speed of the game. The game in the NFL is so much faster than in college it’s unbelievable. The talent level is a lot more balanced and you cannot get away with as many mistakes like you could in college.

12. Who is the Toughest player you've faced so far and what did they do to make it so tough?

You may be surprised by my answer. The one OLT that had me dog tired every time I faced him is Leonard Davis. He is by far the biggest player who knows how to use his bulk to his advantage. I do not understand why he has been labeled as being an underachiever? He never underachieved when he played against me. I had to work for every inch I got when lining up against him. One thing is for sure, I am sure glad I will not have to be seeing him on the other side anymore.

13. Who is the leader of this defense?

Leadership is such an overused term in sports in my opinion. Does it mean getting in somebody's face and yelling at them? Ray Lewis is a leader because of his play, not because of his words, not because of his pre-game chant. That makes for good pictures, but that's not leadership. The Cowboys have leaders. We don't have the outspoken guys, like Michael Irvin.

Terence Newman is a leader. Jason Ferguson, Aaron Glenn and Akin Ayodele are leaders. Tony Romo is a leader, so is Jason Witten. Darren Woodson was a great leader and he never got in somebody's face. This team leads together.

14. Who is the most underrated player on the defense?

There is not question to me that player would be Newman. He does not get the respect he deserves. A perfect example his lack of Pro-Bowls he has not been voted in to. He is a class act because it does not bother him and he has said on numerous occasions that he lets his play on the field speak for itself.

15. Was there one specific player you were excited to meet or play with or go against, just as a fan of the game?

I can’t really say there were any in the NFL currently. I have friends currently in the NFL now that play the same position as me. It’s kind of like a club in a way. We give one another hard times out of fun. There are 3 past players in the Hall of Fame I was very honored to meet and I asked a lot of questions. When you get that kind of opportunity to meet the great ones of the past you don’t let it pass to learn as much as you can from them. Those 3 players are Mike Singletary, D ick Butkus and Lawrence Taylor.

Thank you guys for your continued support. I hope this helps you get to know a little bit more about me. As I have always said, my fans are very important to me. I play the game for myself and my family but I also play the game and strive to be the very best at my position for the fans. Keep an eye out for my Official DeMarcus Ware web site to open up soon. I am sorry it is taking longer than expected but it will be worth the wait I promise.

Keep believing in the Cowboys because I really think we are about to do something special with these great group of guys. We are hungry and we are ready.

God Bless each one of you.