Monday, May 07, 2007

Recap: Bill Jones and Brad Sham interview Jeff Ireland

Recap by Theogt from a sports forum:

Let's talk about Spencer and the immediate impact he'll have.
I think he has great upside to be a real good pressure player. He's a guy that has very good pass-rush ability. He's an explosive athlete with a great motor. Those are the kinda qualities you want to have in a guy that can come in an contribute immediately.

Any different finding front-7 players for the Phillips 3-4 as opposed to the Parcells 3-4?
There's really not hat much of a difference between a Phillips OLB and a Parcells OLB. Both of them -- the thing you really want is that they can get upfield and pressure the QB -- that they can pin their ears back and go sick the QB. They've gotta know how to get to the QB. They can't be cut down by a back. They gotta be able to get out of trouble. There's really no difference between the two. Both want guys that can get to the QB and are high motor guys that are going to bust their tail.

It appears your 4th round pick has all the tools to succeed as a WR. How excited were you to pick him?
It's been a joke in the war room leading up to the draft because he was one of my favorite players. I tried to keep it secret, but it's like a kid in a candy store. He's a real explosive athlete, with very good run skills. He's big, he's a great kid. When you meet him you just really want to fall in love with him because he's a good kid.

Which of the UDFA are you most excited about?
I think Alonzo Coleman is a guy that I'm interested to see. He's a guy that at RB from Hampton. He had 4 1000+ yard seasons there. He's a very fast back. It'll be interesting to see what he can do. The Allison kid from Houston -- the athletic TE -- he's also very interesting. I'd also say Matt Moore, the QB. I'd like to see what he can do. Those are just a few. I'm always interested to see how the UDFA compete.

You worked closely with Parcells. Can you describe what he was like to work with?
Bill was a tremendous mentor. He was very demanding and held you accountable for your actions. But he's a good friend of mine. I enjoyed my time with Bill. He always made it known to me that he wanted to leave me with something every day that we met. I enjoyed that part of Bill. He was a guy that always wanted to make you better. He would hold your feet to the fire to make you better. That's what you want from a headcoach or anyone in the organization.

How much of a contrast from Wade Phillips?
Coach Phillips is not much different in that he wants to make you better. It's just a different personality. He's kinda what I'm used to growing up. He's a good ol' country boy. He just wants good football players -- tough guys that are accountable and dependable. From that standpoint they're a lot alike. But their personalities are different. Coach Phillips and I will probably get to know one another about as good as Coach Parcells and I did.

What was your opinion on the draft as a whole?
I felt like it went they way we wanted it to. There were really no surprises about the players that we thought would be there at 22. It wasn't really a surprise that Quinn would fall to us. It didn't surprise me that we got good guys. That we got big guys. Some explosive elements. I think we can look back 2-3 years from now and say this was one heckuva draft.