Tuesday, November 27, 2007

It's all about respect

By Jaime Aron
The Associated Press

IRVING - Terrell Owens is part jokester, part self-promoter, traits that should be remembered when you hear some of his recent comments.
You know, wacky things like possibly going into the Hall of Fame while still playing and being able to take over games a la Michael Jordan.

Yet when the topic becomes Ray Sherman, T.O. gets serious.

Sherman is in his first year as receivers coach of the Cowboys, which means he is Owens' immediate boss. But the longtime NFL assistant has become more than that.

To Owens, Sherman is a source of advice and inspiration, a sounding board for problems in football and in life. And, most of all, a friend.

"It's just respect, him allowing me to be who I am, and I respect who he is," Owens said. "I want to be the best in whatever I can to help this team win. That's all I ever wanted. I feel like I'm in a situation that's showing that."

Shocked? Don't be. Owens has bonded with position coaches before, happily sharing their names: David Culley, George Stewart, Larry Kirksey. It's just that T.O. being T.O., he gets far more headlines when he gets crosswise with coaches, a list that includes Greg Knapp, Brad Childress and Todd Haley, who was Dallas' receivers coach last year.

According to Owens, Haley decided the wideout was trouble before they met and treated him as such, never listening to Owens' midweek suggestions about the game plan or in-game ideas about adjustments. Whether that was truly the case doesn't matter. Owens thought so, and the bad vibes manifested.

There were fines for being late to work, disclosure of a medical condition that causes him to fall asleep in meetings, and angry talk of a "snitch" in the organization. Owens also had a league-leading drop total that at times overshadowed his league-leading TD total. Last season also featured his accidental overdose.

Haley left to become the offensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals in late January. A few weeks later, Wade Phillips replaced Bill Parcells as head coach of the Cowboys, then hired Sherman.

This is Sherman's ninth NFL team and his 20th straight season, so he's worked with a lot of receivers, including Jerry Rice, Cris Carter and Randy Moss. Along the way, Sherman has learned never to judge a player by his public perception.

"I don't know what was said to a young man for him to act a certain way. I only know how I treat them and work with them, so that's what I go on," Sherman said.

Sherman and Haley are as opposite as Phillips and Parcells, which means he's a kinder, gentler type. He speaks to Owens instead of yelling at him, the cussing left out. The angry, in-your-face style might work with some players, but Owens isn't among them.

"I'm very fortunate for Ray," Owens said. "He's done a great job here, not only with me but the other guys, as well. We joke around and have a lot of fun, but it's business and he treats us like men."

Despite his soft side, Sherman can be tough and demanding. However, because Owens trusts him, he embraces being coached. A sideline microphone recently picked up Owens telling Sherman to keep pushing him hard.

"I stay on him," Sherman said. "I'm not going to let him slide and let him get away with things."

Owens already has tied last year's TD total with 13, along with 64 catches and 1,093 yards. He's moved into the career top 10 in all three categories, and leads the conference in yards and TDs. His drops are way down, too.

"I'm always looking for a coach to point out my weaknesses to make me better," Owens said. "I want them to coach me to be the best. I don't feel that I am the best, but I have the talent and the potential to do so."