Thursday, January 10, 2008

Pro football: Phillips doesn't feel his job is on the line

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

IRVING — Wade Phillips on Wednesday dismissed speculation he could be fired if the Dallas Cowboys lose this weekend to the New York Giants in the divisional round of the NFC playoffs.

“I don't think (owner) Jerry Jones feels that way,” Phillips said. “I think some guy who pulls it out of the air feels that way.”

Questions about Phillips' job security might seem unwarranted considering the Cowboys (13-3) tied a team record for wins and earned the NFC's No. 1 seed, but it's long been rumored Phillips could be just keeping the seat warm for offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.

Dallas is in danger of losing Garrett after he interviewed last weekend with Atlanta and Baltimore about head-coaching jobs.

Asked if he's worried that the outcome of Sunday's game could impact his future with the Cowboys, Phillips said, “My future? No. I worry about whether we're going to play another game or not. That's the future.

“My record stands for itself. That's all I can say. I mean, we're 13-3, we're No. 1 in the NFC, we're playing a playoff game, which I think we'll win. I don't have any control over anything except how I coach.”

Asked if he's received any assurances from Jones, Phillips joked, “We're going to evaluate after the season. I'm going to evaluate him, he's going to evaluate me.”

Phillips signed a three-year deal last January that includes an option for a fourth.

T.O. update: Terrell Owens' status for Sunday is still uncertain after he missed practice with a high ankle sprain.

“It's day-to-day,” Phillips said. “But we're going through a plan or process that's going to try and get him ready, and he's adhered to that.”

Phillips said it's possible Owens could play even if he doesn't practice.

“If he's ready to go, and I feel like he could play without hurting himself, yeah, I would play him,” Phillips said.

Phillips joked that stamina wouldn't be an issue for Owens.

“He does sit-ups in his driveway,” Phillips said.

On the positive side for Dallas, Terry Glenn went through an entire practice for the first time since returning from two preseason knee operations.

“I'm certainly encouraged there,” Phillips said. “Whatever you get from Terry is a bonus.”