Saturday, February 16, 2008

Arkansas' McFadden wouldn't mind wearing Dallas Cowboys star

By ALBERT BREER / The Dallas Morning News
abreer@dallasnews.com

McKINNEY – With their Arkansas ties, Razorbacks running back Darren McFadden and Cowboys owner and former Razorbacks co-captain Jerry Jones have talked a few times.

"He's a great guy," said McFadden, after finishing a workout at the Michael Johnson Performance Center in McKinney on Thursday. "I feel like if he had it his way, he would pick me and have me as a running back for him. But the draft works funny."

McFadden said he's heard all the rumors about a potential blockbuster deal positioning the Cowboys to select him. But for now, he isn't putting much stock in them.

"I've heard so many rumors about what's going on with the draft, I just try not to pay attention to any of it anymore," McFadden said. "You have to block it out, because if you don't, it'll take control of you, getting caught up in where you want to go and where you think you should go."

McFadden said he grew up a Cowboys fan and an Emmitt Smith fan. And his Arkansas backfield mate, Tulsa native Felix Jones, another potential first-round pick, echoed the sentiment.

"They were the closest team to our state," Jones said. "I grew up a fan, and it'd be an honor to wear the star on my helmet."