Saturday, February 23, 2008

DMN Blog: Capers take on Cowboys

by Albert Breer

Dom Capers had his chance to come to the Cowboys and turned it down. And now he's in New England.

Why? Well, we had some moles on his conference call with the Patirots media today. Here's what coach Capers had to say.

"You never know how these things are going to go and I learned a long time ago that it's important the staffs fit together," Capers said. "It's like putting a team together. You have to have a feel for what everybody's roles are going to be and what they can contribute. That's what makes a good football team and I think it's what makes a good staff.

"I just felt going up to New England was a good fit and like I said, I've had so much respect for Bill. They're a multiple-style defense. They can play a lot of different styles. I think that's what you have to do in this era."

Take that for what you will. The question, in case you're wondering, was this: Why did New England work out for you and not Dallas. As my man JJT wrote a little while back, part of it has to do with the kind of guy Capers is.