Thursday, March 20, 2008

DMN Blog: DeMarcus Ware tidbits from the Ranch

by Todd Archer

Ran into the Pro Bowl linebacker at Valley Ranch on Tuesday and caught up with him on a number of subjects. We'll have a story up on DallasNews.com later today on Ware for you to check out.

Here goes:

On a possible contract extension (His deal runs out after the 2009 season): "Just working out, doing what I need to do because I know each year is a year I need to excel. I'm going to do my best to show them I'm that guy. This year I'm going to make sure I'm bigger, stronger, faster and even more productive than last year. They say 14 sacks was productive. I look at it if I get 15, then you never know that 15th sack could get you to the Super Bowl. So that's the way I look at it. I'll let them handle that contract stuff."

On the upcoming draft: "I don't expect any linebackers. I know that. Inside or out. We are stacked. Anybody in that core could start and be good. But the D-line, always got to get a little trickle of them in there, then a little bit on the offensive line because those guys are the core of the team, then some cornerbacks and a little bit at wide receiver. I don't know exactly what they're thinking about drafting, but there's certain places that are shaky because they've gotten rid of certain guys on the scene, so you've got to bring in certain guys to replace them."

On playing in 1,007 snaps last year: "I think we've got two different systems. You got one system with Bill Parcells to where you're head up on a guy a lot. You're tussling a lot, going against bug guys mano a mano. With Wade's system, it's a little different. I'm more of an outside guy. I use half my body half the time ... It's really a good thing. I just think that you can play every snap with this scheme but Parcells' scheme is a little harder because you're tussling around a little more and it wears your body down. That's what he knows. He knows that's going to wear players down, that's why he says you can't play every snap."

On if Pacman Jones becomes a Cowboy: "The way I feel if they bring in Tank or DeAngelo Hall or whoever, they understand what's at stake. They understand how many guys are really working. Like Tank was saying when he came here, 'I've never seen as many guys working out at the same time and have the same drive in off-season workouts.' Certain teams, I don't know how they do their deal, but here all the linebackers are going to work out together, that gets us a little closer niche. All the linebackers, all the defensive linemen, you're going to learn each other and talk to each other ... I think if you've got 10 guys against yourself, what else are you going to do? You're not going to be an outcast. The thing is those 10 guys can make you not really play, see what I'm saying? If those 10 guys are against you and the coaches are against you, then you're probably not going to be around anyway. It doesn't matter."

On losing Keith Davis: "He's the guy on the sidelines when the offense is out there and he's not playing offense or defense, he's playing special teams and he's rooting everybody on. He's kicking people. On defense he's doing the same thing. Then on kickoff I get up and look to see what he's going. I want to sit down because I'm tired, but I root him on because he does the same thing. He's the heart of the team. We're going to miss that. Miami, Bill knows what type of guy KD is."