Monday, April 07, 2008

Detroit receiver wary of trade rumors

By CLARENCE E. HILL, JR.
chill@star-telegram.com

AUSTIN -- Detroit Lions receiver Roy Williams has heard all the talk and rumors about a possible draft-day trade to the Dallas Cowboys and said he is prepared for whatever happens.

The former Longhorn star -- who was in Austin over the weekend for the Texas Relays and the Michael Huff celebrity basketball game -- wants to stay in Detroit.

"Of course I want to stay in Detroit," Williams said. "Everybody wants to stay with the team that drafted them. They are telling me I am going to be a Lion for at least one more season. That’s what I have on my mind."

Williams knows what he’s been told by the Lions, but he also understands the business of the game. He recited the money the team has guaranteed to fellow Lions receiver Calvin Johnson. Williams is in the final year of his contract and the Lions have yet to approach him about an extension.

So even though he has been told he will be in Detroit next year, he understands there remains the question of "what are they going to do with me?"

"Could they pay me? Yes," Williams said. "Will they pay me? That’s the question that needs to be answered.

“If I get franchised, I get franchised. If they want to go in another direction that is part of the business."

The Lions could put the franchise tag on Williams after the season, guaranteeing him roughly $9 million in 2009. But the question is not going away. Either then or now, Detroit will have to decide to commit a long-term contract to Williams or let him walk away.

The reason the question is coming up now is because the Cowboys are in search of a veteran receiver. And Williams’ uncertain status makes him a prime target for a possible draft-day trade. He is a Pro Bowl receiver who can put the “wow” in the Cowboys offense that owner Jerry Jones promised next year and who is young enough to take over for Terrell Owens as the team’s go-to receiver in the years to come.

And if the Lions hope to get something in return for Williams rather than let him walk as a free agent and/or cause resentment by holding him hostage for a year with the franchise tag, this might be a prime opportunity.

"I have thought about all of that," Williams said. "I just do what I do. I am getting prepared for the season. I just want to play ball. If things don’t work out, I wouldn’t mind playing anywhere."

A source close to Williams said he wants play for the Cowboys if he wasn’t in Detroit.

A politically correct Williams wouldn’t go that far, saying "Man you know I can’t answer that question."

When asked if he grew up a fan of the Cowboys in Odessa, he quipped "Of course, I’m from Texas."

Williams said he wouldn’t have a problem playing with Owens or namesake safety Roy Williams.

"I could see myself playing with anybody," Williams said. "Everybody talks about T.O. All T.O. wants to do is win. If he don’t get any balls and you win, you won’t hear nothing from him. But if you don’t win, you are going to hear from him but that goes with any big-time receiver. You want to help your team win. If you don’t, you are going to be (upset). And with Roy, at least I don’t have to worry about that hit. They have a good football team."

Williams reiterated that his goal is to stay in Detroit, but admitted that he is somewhat frustrated about his uncertain future there.

"The only thing I can do is play ball," Williams said. "It’s a little disappointing. That’s the nature of this business. Whatever they do with me, they do with me."

Suffice it to say, if the Lions ultimately do something with him, he wouldn’t mind it being with the Cowboys.