Saturday, May 24, 2008

DMN Blog: Jenkins learning

by Albert Breer

I mentioned the other day that Cowboys first-round draft pick Mike Jenkins showed plenty of progress from rookie minicamp to Wednesday's OTA session.

One thing his South Florida coaches raised to me, when I was researching him prior to the draft, was that the caliber of competition at the pro level would take Jenkins -- who at some points seemed bored playing the college game -- to the next level. And it seems like playing against the Cowboy vets did just that.

Jenkins did get beat badly once, but more often, he looked like he could stick with whoever was out there for most of the morning. The tempo of the practice, while he was splitting time between the first- and second-teams, helped, he said.

"The 1's got three reps and come out, and the 2s jump right in, so you have to know your step," Jenkins said. "I'm learning and playing at the same time. I'm going pretty solid, and I feel like the guys are pushing me."

One thing that's helped Jenkins, to this point, is the presence of fellow USF Bull Anthony Henry. Deion Sanders, who played at Florida State with Jenkins' uncle, has long served as a mentor to the first-round pick. Henry gives Jenkins a voice and sounding board that will be around every day of the week.

"He keeps my head straight," Jenkins said of Henry. "If I'm at practice, and I'm tired, he'll get on me. And if I make a good play, he'll congratulate me. If I'm struggling, he'll help me. He stays on me like another coach."