Sunday, August 10, 2008

DALLAS COWBOYS PRESEASON ONE-LINERS

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 10, 2008, 8:26 a.m.

QB Tony Romo looked sharp in his only series in a loss to the Chargers.

Said TE Jason Witten, “I thought in that first drive we really went down and set the tempo. We ended up scoring on the first drive, so it couldn’t have been any better.”

S Roy Williams started and made an impact on the first play.

Rookie Mike Jenkins started at cornerback.

CB Adam Jones looked rusty; early in the second quarter he gave up a 21-yard pass to Chargers WR Chris Chambers and missed a tackle on RB Darren Sproles’ ensuing 21-yard screen catch.

WR Miles Austin made a statement with five catches for 64 yards.

Coach Wade Phillips didn’t like how the special teams played.

Said Phillips of his rookie backs Felix Jones and Tashard Choice, “I thought Felix and Tashard ran like they did in college. We ran the ball well tonight. That was one thing I was pleased about.”

LB Zach Thomas had three tackles in two series.

WR Danny Amendola needs to learn that you just can’t fumble away your second punt return when special teams are your best chance of making the 53-man roster.

Said TE Martellus Bennett, “I played like [expletive]. I knew what to do and I did my assignments. I just didn’t play up to par what I wanted to play.”

The Cowboys wish they still had Matt Moore as a backup quarterback.

Three pass interference penalties contributed to three Chargers touchdowns.