Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Does Andy Reid "Own" The Cowboys?

By Rondo
www.cowboyspride.net
Writer/Analyst

Any regular at Cowboys Pride knows how passionate I am about my support of the Dallas football team. I back the Cowboys win, lose or draw. That's been true for over 40 years now. I've been called a "homer", but I just picked a team to support way back when and have stuck with them since. If that's being a "homer", then OK, I'm a "homer".

I recently got into a heated discussion with a Philadelphia Eagles fan. Actually, he made some rather insulting remarks toward me and my mother, but that's another story.

One thing he mentioned was that the Eagles under Head Coach Andy Reid has "owned" the Cowboys during his tenure. I decided to check into that.

Turns out he's right--kinda.

Reid took over the Eagles' head coaching job during the 1999 season. Since that time, he has posted a very respectable 13-5 record against the Cowboys. But, actually the only Cowboys' teams he "owned" in posting that remarkable record were those coached by Dave Campo. Campo-coached teams never beat the Eagles, going 0-6 against Reid and his Philadelphia team. Campo's teams posted three consecutive 5-11 seasons, so his teams weren't really beating anybody.

Reid's record against other Cowboys coaches is still respectable, but I wouldn't say he exactly "owned" the Cowboys. In the only season he faced the Cowboys when they were coached by Chan Gailey, Reid was 1-1 in 1999, Andy's first year in Philly. Against Bill Parcells-coached Dallas teams, Reid was 5-3, going 1-1 in 2003, 2-0 in 2004, 0-2 in 2005, and 2-0 in 2006. Against current Dallas coach Wade Phillips, Reid was 1-1 last season. So, against Dallas head coaches other than Dave Campo, Reid has gone 7-5, still a winning percentage, but not exactly "owning" the Cowboys.

By the way, the Cowboys and Eagles have never met in the playoffs with Andy Reid as the head coach in Philly.

So, Reid is even-Steven against the current Cowboys coach. It remains to be seen what happens this year. No doubt about it, Andy Reid is a great coach. I'm not going to deny that point. But, I will add that Wade Phillips is a great coach, as well.

I look for the Cowboys and the Eagles to battle it out for NFC East supremacy this year. Donovan McNabb is reportedly back to top form, and big things are expected from him in Philly this year. We can't count out the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants, either.

Regardless of how this season turns out, I doubt anyone will be "owning" the Cowboys this season--except for Jerry Jones. GO COWBOYS!!