Sunday, August 03, 2008

Second thoughts

Compiled by Steve Watts
Source: www.nwanews.com

T. O. plays name game with press What started as a simple question turned into a “Who’s On First” -type of exchange between Terrell Owens and a television reporter.

Midway through one of Owens’ interviews this week, a reporter from a Spanish television network wanted to know by which name T. O. refers to Adam “Pacman” Jones, the new Cowboys cornerback.

The still-suspended Jones said in June that he preferred to be called “Adam or Mr. Jones” instead of his nickname. But since getting to camp, he has seemed to embrace the nickname again. His teammates, coaches and fans call him “Pacman,” and that’s how he signs his autograph.

Here’s the exchange between the reporter and T. O.:

Reporter: “Do you call Pacman Pacman ?” T. O.: “What’s that ?” Reporter: “Pacman.” T. O.: “Who ?” Reporter: “Adam.” T. O.: “What about it ?” Reporter: “I thought he didn’t like to be called Pacman anymore. You said Pacman, Pacman Jones.” T. O.: “What about it ?” Reporter: “I thought he didn’t want to be called Pacman anymore.” T. O.: “Did somebody call him Pacman ?” Reporter: “You did, man.” T. O.: “Dude, I don’t care.” Reporter: “OK.” She’s chicken Morgan Pressel, 20, from Boca Raton, Fla., is finding the food options challenging in England at the Women’s British Open in Sunningdale: “I like good old American food. They put different sauces and different things on and you usually say I’ll get the plain grilled chicken. I’m not quite ready to try the shepherd’s pie yet.” Busy watching tape Several players for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers shared “their favorite examples of tomfoolery and other training-camp tales” with St. Petersburg (Fla. ) Times writer Joe Smith, including what caused defensive tackle Chris Hovan to miss a practice when he was a rookie with the Minnesota Vikings. “So I remember one night, it was the last night of camp, I heard a boom-boom-boom [at the door ]. It was Todd Steussie and Robert Smith. They said, ‘You better open up,’” Hovan said. “I got a little beatdown, a little tape job. Missed the morning practice because they taped me up to a chair, but at least I got it over with. I had a really good excuse, too. I couldn’t get out.” Making room How happy is Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt to have Manny Ramirez in left field ? “As far as I’m concerned, Manny can stay in my guest house,” McCourt joked in a reference to new Los Angeles Angels first baseman Mark Teixeira reportedly staying in agent Scott Boras’ guest house.

Long engagement During last year’s Pro Football Hall of Fame induction speech, former Buffalo Bills running back Thurman Thomas asked his wife to marry him again.

A year later, the couple still has not renewed their vows.

Why ?

“I have an idea of what I want to do, and it will definitely be part of a nice package for my wife,” Thomas said. “I want all of the Hall-of-Famers to come back for it because this is where I did it. It takes time to work some of these things out because everyone has a busy schedule.” Thomas is asking everyone to just be patient.

While he still has not set a date or a place for the event, he again promised it will happen in time.

“You know it took me six years to get in here. It may take me six more years to get it done again,” he said.

Quote of the day “My dad was always one to finish what he started, to never quit. Everything I do is a tribute to him and the man he made me.” Vinnie Olson of the Arkansas Twisters, whose father died July 25