Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cowboys' Witten busy on field and off

By GEORGE RIBA / WFAA-TV

Cowboys tight end Jason Witten spent part of his off day Tuesday with the Texas Council on Family Violence, showing support for the organization and helping make sure folks are aware that October is Domestic Violence Month.

"Talk to your children, neighbors and friends about healthy relationships," Witten says in a public service announcement. "Show your strength. Speak out about domestic violence."

For his work, Witten collected $100,000 from the Allstate Foundation for his SCORE foundation, an initiative to help Texas families in crisis.

"We're able to start the Scorekeepers program which the male mentors will go into these different shelters and (I'm) excited to say we have five up and running today across Texas," Witten says.

Witten, the leading receiver on the Cowboys after three games, says he witnessed first hand, the verbal abuse his father inflicted on his family.

"My grandfather came in and we moved in with him, he was a high school football coach, obviously I made so much more of my life then I ever thought I could," Witten says, "(he) just taught me how to be a man."

For Witten it was a very busy day off. He went from providing opportunity for Freedom from domestic violence, to here to the Pleasant Grove area of Dallas where he helped build a playground to provide a safe place for kids to play.

"It is across the league," Witten says. "I think they picked twenty guys to do it, I'm just thankful they picked me. I'm very appreciative of them; give a donation to my foundation from Home Depot to be a part of it."

And by showing that he can also be a handyman may eventually change things around the Witten house.

"No excuses," says his wife, Michelle. "I feel this spring that Jason can build his own playground for his two boys without a doubt."