Saturday, September 27, 2008

Jansen likely to start vs. Dallas

Heyer limited by shoulder
Published September 27, 2008
from Hometown Annapolis

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - Washington Redskins right tackle Jon Jansen appears set to start tomorrow's game against the Dallas Cowboys after Stephon Heyer was limited in practice yesterday with a sprained shoulder.

"Right now it looks like Jansen is the guy for us," coach Jim Zorn said.

Heyer sprained his left shoulder in the second quarter of last week's 24-17 victory over the Arizona Cardinals. He returned to play the second half but has been sore all week and is listed as questionable on the injury report.

Heyer, a second-year player, won the starting job over longtime veteran Jansen in one of the surprises of preseason. Jansen said he felt he had something to prove during the dozen or so snaps he played when subbing for Heyer against the Cardinals.

"I would be lying if I said it wasn't in the back of my mind," Jansen said. "I wanted to prove to everybody that has seen me play football for the past 10 years that I'm not old, I'm not washed up, I can still play, and I can still play with the best of them."

Linebacker Marcus Washington (hamstring) was also limited in practice and will be a gametime decision, according to Zorn. Cornerback Fred Smoot (hip) and fullback Mike Sellers (thigh) took part in the full practice and are expected to play.

Defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery was excused from practice for personal reasons, but is expected to play tomorrow.

Defensive end Jason Taylor (leg) and receiver Malcolm Kelly (ankle) have been ruled out for the game.