Wednesday, November 19, 2008

DMN Blog: Fun has returned for refreshed Tony Romo

by Tim MacMahon

Tony Romo fesses up that he didn't have a whole lot of fun in the few games before he fractured his pinkie finger.

"I think I had taken the approach of it was only if everything went our way," Romo said. "It was only fun if the execution was perfect by everybody. That might have been a little unrealistic in some ways, so I may have not been enjoying the whole process like i should be."

Romo's smile returned Sunday night, even though he threw a couple costly interceptions and didn't put up big numbers. He said he appreciates the game more after being forced to sit out a month.

"Sometimes you can let it get you down," Romo said. "It's very emotionally and physically draining to go through this entire season. I basically had a break right in the middle of it. The mental side, I didn't have to continue the grind that all these guys have had to. I am fresh. My mind is fresh, my body feels good, and I think it's just a matter of going and enjoying what you do. If you can't enjoy this, you are not going to enjoy much."

Heck, Romo is so jolly-go-lucky these days that he stopped by Lake Highlands High School to spread the joy at a pep rally yesterday.

Of course, Romo will have a lot more fun once the passing game gets clicking again. And he's confident that will happen after chipping off some rust in windy conditions while the Cowboys relied on their running game against a tough Redskins defense.