Friday, January 30, 2009

WR Roy Williams elaborates on difference between practices in Detroit and Dallas

by Tim MacMahon

Coachable WR Roy Williams mentioned on ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike in the Morning that the Lions practiced harder than the Cowboys. He elaborated during this afternoon's Ben & Skin Show on 105.3 The Fan.

"The practices in Detroit are a lot more difficult than they are in Dallas," Williams said. "Rod Marinelli had us moving at a faster tempo. The receivers were blocking downfield after every run and every catch, no matter who ran the ball or who caught the ball. We called it convoy. Obviously, we were getting conditioning in at the same time. That's why I felt like it was more of a difficult practice in Detroit than it is in Dallas."

Does that need to happen at Valley Ranch?

"I tried to do it when I first got here, but none of the guys were catching on, so I felt like an idiot running out there by myself," Williams said. "So I quit doing it, but I'm going to start that back up come the off-season work. If people come with me, fine. If they don't, I'm going to get my work in. It's my time to be a leader on this football team."

As I mentioned earlier, it's interesting that Williams is the one complaining about the Cowboys' easy practices. However, more power to him if he wants to work harder.

Oh, yeah, he also wants the ball much more often.

"I didn't get the kind of touches that I thought was going to happen," said Williams, who had 19 catches for 198 yards and one TD in nine games for the Cowboys. "It wasn't a tough transition. I think a lot of people are trying to make excuses that I didn't know the plays or whatever. The playbook is pretty much all the same stuff. I had that thing down within two weeks. ...

"I was ready to go. Unfortunately, I just didn't get many opportunities this year. Hopefully, that can change next year."

Williams avoided pinning the blame on Jason Garrett or Tony Romo. He opted for both.

"If the coordinator wanted to get the ball to me, he could. And the same thing with the quarterback," Williams said. "I just do my part, beat the guy and put it on film and show the coordinator that I can run routes and win in this league. Unfortunately, that didn't happen this year. Hopefully, it can happen next year."