Thursday, March 26, 2009

Roy Williams/Tony Romo workouts might not be too productive

by Tim MacMahon

The news that Tony Romo was throwing passes to Roy Williams during unofficial voluntary workouts at Valley Ranch gave folks reason to believe the QB and coachable WR could get on the same page.

Now comes news that Williams is extremely limited in the workouts due to the foot injury that bothered him all last season.

"I'm pretty healthy. I'm running around with the other guys," Williams told the team's official Web site. "I haven't cut yet. I'm just running straight. I'm kind of scared a little bit to cut."

How productive can the workouts be if Williams can't run any routes other than gos? (Williams might say that he doesn't run any other routes anyway.)

Romo and Williams might be establishing rapport and chemistry during these workouts. But the fact that Williams isn't running routes -- and Troy Aikman is among the many who have criticized his sloppy route running -- seems like it ought to be a pretty big concern.

Williams, however, sure doesn't sound worried. He thinks it's funny that folks doubt his ability to be the Cowboys' No. 1 receiver.

"I'm not sure why I can't do it all of a sudden," Williams told the team site. "I [was the No. 1 receiver] at Texas. I did it in Detroit, although no really saw me all the time. And now I'm here in Dallas. Every time I've come to Texas Stadium, I came in there and had big games. So now I'm not sure all of a sudden why people don't think I can do it here with the Cowboys. I know what I can do.

"It's just funny to me. I look forward to hearing people say 'I'm sorry for saying that he couldn't.' That's what I want to hear."