Monday, March 09, 2009

Salisbury's Take: Dallas still has work to do

Salisbury's Take
By: Sean_Salisbury

Dallas still has work to do
Posted 3 hours ago

Terrell Owens had to go.

The Cowboys made the move they needed to, according to the Cowboys. I have had plenty of run-ins and disagreements with Owens over the years. I believe the Cowboys' production on the field will be affected unless they find another stud receiver or Roy Williams proves he can be a No. 1 wideout in the NFL.

I still like T.O. as a player. Defenses still have to respect him. He may drop too many balls, but he also is a gamebreaker and a lightning rod. Had the Cowboys taken care of their on-field business, the off-field and locker room antics would have never been talked about.

I think winning comes before chemistry. You can hide problems if you win and the Cowboys didn't do that enough. Yes, Owens can be a pain in the ***. Yes, Owens can and has destroyed locker rooms. Yes, he is selfish, but most WRs are -- it’s just a diva position. I don't mind a guy wanting the ball, but I do mind if it is at the expense of winning. Can the Cowboys win without Owens' antics? Yes. Will they be better on Sundays? Who knows. I do promise you this though; the Cowboys have far more issues than just T.O.

Now that T.O. is gone, the Cowboys players have no more excuses and can't point a finger at Owens. I wish Owens was more mature, but fat chance. That being said Owens will help the Bills. I guarantee it.

The Cowboys have two major issues.

1. Leadership. When your best leaders are the owner (Jerry Jones), your new backup QB (Jon Kitna) and your new linebacker (Keith Brooking), but none of them has ever played a down in a Cowboys uniform, that is a major problem and it's embarrassing. The Cowboys will never win a title without at least one great leader.

2. Tony Romo. Romo is talented, sometimes explosive and makes plays. He just doesn't get them over the hump. I like Romo as a player and a person. But I for one am tired of the QB coddling. I'm tired of Romo worrying about what the fans think, what the media thinks and what Hollywood thinks. I don't care who Romo dates. Hell, if he wasn't the Cowboys starting QB, Jessica Simpson wouldn't know who he was. If you don't perform on the field, your off-the-field interest will suffer. Romo must start to win big games or he will always be looked at as just a stats guy.

I think Romo can get better, but he better protect the ball, work hard on mechanics (which he is very average at) and realize that he must stop worrying about what people think and worry more about finding ways to win. Romo and the Cowboys must also get emotionally and mentally tougher. Aside from the Yankee shortstop, the Cowboy QB is sports' most watched position. The Cowboys have handed Romo a golden ticket.

If Romo doesn't start winning in January, his golden ticket will turn into a bus ticket out of town. I believe in Romo, but I do it with trepidation. With Owens gone, the football world can't point the finger at him if the Cowboys falter.